Description : A text based MMORPG in your web browser.
Technologies : Apache / PHP 4 / MySQL / XHTML 1.0 / CSS 2.1
System : Web
Version : 1.2
License : Gnu General Public License v2
Last update : 22/03/2010
DarkCity takes place in a futuristic city in the 2020s, close to that of RPG Cyberpunk 2020 from Talsorian Games. So it will not be unusual to see vehicles or weapons with a totally futuristic design, besides that there are some objects with a rather retro look. The universe is very violent, we could compare this to the existing violence in American cities, but at a much higher level, it will therefore not unusual that you have to face an enemy.
The entire game takes place in the city that has many places where you need to go to perform various actions:
- The Hospital: This is where you need to go for care if you are unable to care for yourself, you will receive care against payment.
- The Pub: It is a place where you can have a drink to get information about the city, it is also the place where you can pick fights with other characters.
- The Gunslith: This is where you can buy and sell weapons and armor, you can also repair them.
- The Car Seller: This is where you can buy or sell a vehicle, you will also repair it.
- The General Store: Here you can find all other objects, you may need. For example a computer to help you in your research, or a toolkit to repair your weapons or vehicles.
- The Business Zone: If you are looking for a job this is the place to go. we can offer you a job suited to one of your skill, you then choose the number of hours you want to work and you’ll gain experience and a salary.
- The Leisure Centre: Here you can train in shooting, fight, or improve your fitness. of course it’s not free, but do you want to progress or not?
- The Police Station: If you want to go hunting the criminals, this is the place to go. Here is where are the call for tenders. Each mission proposed is paid, if you succeed.
- The Mafia HQ: This is where contracts are on the honest people, if you want to progress in criminal hierarchy, the best way is to honor the contracts offered.
- The Street: In the street you can make various meetings, whether NPCs that will make you live adventures small, or will engage in combat with you. You can also run into other players. It is in the street which is building a reputation and that we learn to survive.
- The Airport: If you want to leave the city some time to relax, take a plane and come back in a few days.
Your character has nine skills to operate in the city:
- Gun: Representing your skill mastery of firearms in combat, to use this skill you must have a firearm.
- Fight: Representing your skill mastery of combat melee.
- Fitness: Representing your physical condition, the higher the more you’re hard to hit in combat.
- Driving: Representing your mastery skill driving vehicles, useful when doing car chases. you must have a Vehicle.
- Search: Representing your level of competence investigator, you will be more strong in this one more chance you have of finding your target during your missions.
- Security: Competence indicating your ability to bypass security systems, especially useful for attacking an unconnected person (in this case it is found in his hideout and you have to dislodge).
- Repair: Competence indicating your ability to repair your weapons and vehicles, as they wear out. To use this skill you must have a toolkit.
- Medicine: This skill allows you to apply yourself care without going to the hospital, however, you must have a first aid kit.
- Persuasion: This skill indicates your empathic level, useful especially for haggling.
Your character start withe a health bar at 100%, when you undertake a fight with an opponent, that is which of them will inflict the most damage to his opponent in 5 rounds to win the fight. If during the fight one of the players falls below 25 points, he automatically loses the fight regardless of the round in which this happens.
A very important concept is your reputation, it is either positive which case you are considered as an honest person, and therefore are a target of the Mafia, is negative in which case you are a criminal and you’re wanted by the police. The evolution of your reputation depends on your actions in the game:
Your reputation decreases:
- When looking for a fight in the pub
- When attacking people with a good reputation
- When you do immoral actions during your walks in the streets
Your reputation increases:
- When you redeem good conduct from the police (payment of fines)
- When attacking people with bad reputation
- When you do good deeds during your walks in the city
Finally the last important point is money, and yes without money we can not do anything in town, luckily there are several ways to earn money:
- Working in the business area
- Accept contracts of Police or Mafia
- Attacking honest people to steal them
- Resell the equipment you no longer use at merchants
When you are not busy in town, you sit in your stash, you can evolve to increase comfort or safety:
The neighborhood: You can change neighborhoods, each with its own advantages and disadvantages
- The combat zone: Basic area, you are more difficult to find but you can not benefit from any security or every comfort
- The modest neighborhood: Neighborhood a little cleaner, you can increase your level of comfort and safety to an acceptable level
- The affluent neighborhood: one must already have some level of comfort to go in this area, you can further enhance it as well as the security level, by cons it is easier to find you in this neighborhood in the area
- The high security area: in this district you are easy to find by against your safety is increased, the more you can’t enter this area unless you are an honest citizen.
Comfort: enjoy comfort is nice, you recover more easily from your wounds when you are in a soft bed rather than on a mattress.
Security: When you disconnected from the game, your character is locked up in his hideout, the higher the security level is high, and the person trying to attack you will have to make an important SAFETY jet to dislodge you. When connected, security does not come into play.
It turns out that for a long time I had the idea to develop a game around a futuristic universe with guns and baseball bats, to change from elves and dwarves … And sometime in 2008, I played BiteFight (http://bitefight.fr/), a text-based RPG which confront werewolves and vampires that I found interesting, but a bit limited in terms of skills. At the end of the summer, a fly stung me or whatever, and I threw myself fully into the design of a similar game but with more skills and firearms. This is how and why we have come to develop DarkCity.
The different game’s versions
- 22/03/2010 – DarkCity v1.2
- 11/11/2009 – DarkCity v1.1.4
- 11/11/2009 – DarkCity v1.1.3
- 30/10/2009 – DarkCity v1.1.2
- 23/10/2009 – DarkCity v1.1.1
- 11/10/2009 – DarkCity v1.1
- 01/09/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.8
- 28/08/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.7
- 21/08/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.6
- 01/07/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.5
- 15/06/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.4
- 11/06/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.3
- 09/06/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.2
- 06/06/2009 – DarkCity v1.0.1
- 31/05/2009 – DarkCity v1.0
- 01/02/2009 – DarkCity Beta
- 14/12/2008 – DarkCity Alpha
Although DarkCity is an online game, you can download the sources of the game. You can according to the terms of the GPL v2, make your own game from it, make available a game server, or just study the programme. DarkCity v1.2 is now available for download under the terms of the Gnu General Public License v2 license.
Overview (French): DarkCity_Presentation.pdf
License and Warranties
This game is free and is developed by passionate volunteers. We do our best to provide the best service possible but we can not guarantee continuous operation of the game. It is also possible that the game data is perdues.Ce game is fully developed in the spirit of freedom in the words the Gnu General Public License v2. Its use through this site is also subject to this license